Thursday 6 October 2011

Breastmilk And The Adult Human Body-A Follow-Up

I apologise for the delay between posts. I decided that it would be in the better interest of the 24 hour breastmilk project to wait some time after it had ended to continually discuss with my husband on the subject of his health, so that I might gain a better understanding of the effects that breastfeeding had on his body over a more substantial period of time.

So, those of you who have taken a genuine interest in this project are probably keen to know by now what happened during this project.

It is important to note that my husband started to feel a virus coming on right before we started this, so this may have impacted the results of all of this. For this reason, we will probably be recording another project in the not-too-distant-future. Well, my husband decided before our "24 hour clock" had started on the project, to have his final evening meal. He then lazed about once the clock had struck, watched some television and went to bed without breastfeeding, as he was still quite full from his meal, and opted not to wake for night feedings as he was feeling unwell and wished not to disturb his body unless/until it needed something.

So, he did not end up feeding until we woke up many hours later (I had fed our just shy of 11 month old son, who is it seems having a major growth spurt as he is feeding and sleeping a LOT) many times during the night and we woke up almost 12 hours later. He fed at random intervals throughout the day, and I asked him at various points how he was feeling.

He reported something that surprised me earlier on in the day, which was that his stomach felt quite empty but that he felt no need whatsoever to eat(solid food that is). I anticipated that the opposite would happen, being that he was having nothing but breastmilk and water-that he would quench his thirst, fill his belly, but feel a strong need to eat solid food.

TMI part here, so look away/skip this part if it bothers you:

My husband has a lot of gut issues, such as pain and frequent/urgent, liquidish bowel movements. He reported that his bowel movements were more solid, less frequent, and that his intestinal area felt much more comfortable-and this had a somewhat residual effect through the following day, though not permanent.

He also appears less puffy in the face. We are disappointed to say that we could not weigh him as the battery in the scale seems to have DIED since the day before, so I cannot say as to what effect it has had on his weight, but by appearances I would say it has been a good one.

By the end of the (24 hour, that is) day, Paul was feeling rather tired and did need to eat quite badly, but overall he feels it went quite well and wants to try it again soon!

Now, how was I through all of this, you ask?

Well, surprisingly, I did not have any milk supply issues. I thought I might have, considering especially how often our son is feeding right now. However, I did take extra iron, iodine and B12 prior to this little expirement of ours, and made sure to keep myself very well hydrated.

My nipples felt fine, too, I felt no particular sensitivities or anything to note. I have taught my husband to have a very good latch, however, so I imagine it isn't much too different than the feeling of tandem-feeding children.

How was O.O.?

He was fine. During the feeds when his father and him were at the breast simultaneously, they were both very cuddly, and Osrid is finding it very funny as well when his father feeds with him sometimes when he is in a more energetic mood-I think something about Paul's big curly hairs make him giggle. I will tell you it feels very silly having two boys giggling on your breasts!!

Feel free to ask me any questions-I will be happy to answer any comments that are left respectfully :)

No comments:

Post a Comment